Friday, January 21, 2011

Better Late Than Never... UU Salon, October Big Question


What is sacred to us?

When I asked this question on the UU Salon, I was wondering about Unitarian Universalist specific symbols and practices, and their appropriate use by non-UUs. I acknowledge that for each Unitarian Universalist there may be a different list of ‘sacred things.’ Many of us regard the web of nature to be sacred, others elevate human life to be most sacred. What I really wanted to think about, though was what was sacred in our faith tradition.

Because I like to go back to root meanings, I looked up a couple words – sacred and sacrament, which led me to the origin of those words. Here’s what I found:

Sacred: “…entitled to veneration or religious respect by association with divinity or divine things; pertaining to or connected with religion [e.g., sacred music, sacred books]… regarded with reverence…”

Sacrament:
“…something regarded as possessing a sacred character or mysterious significance; a sign, token, or symbol…” Word Origin: From the same entry for sacred, the origin is noted to be an obsolete verb ‘sacren,’ which means to make holy, related to the Latin ‘sacrare,’ which means to make sacred or consecrate. It’s also noted that some (but not all) scholars connect this to another root word, ‘saq,’ to bind or protect (e.g., sacred oaths).

From all of that, I get that the sacred is something real or symbolic, worthy of reverence or respect, which connects us to our faith tradition. This is congruent with what I’ve considered sacred to me as a Unitarian Universalist. I’ve often thought of lighting the chalice or the flower communion as sacramental or sacred acts of our faith.

In lighting the chalice, we remember our history - the flames in which Michael Servetus and others died for their beliefs, the communion cup the Hussites desired for all people, and the unquenchable fire of the human spirit. We mark the beginning of our worship, our time of shaping things of worth, by lighting the chalice – and mark its end by extinguishing the flame. By these acts, we mark the time as sacred.

A more direct connection to sacrament is the flower communion, created by Norbert ńĆapek for a Unitarian congregation comprised of former Catholics. I see this also as a sacred act – because we make it so, not because it has any salvific effect. Instead, this again is a sacrament to me because of how it connects us today with our history and our purpose. Every congregation I’ve been involved with that celebrates flower communion has made a point of ensuring there are enough flowers for all – this is an open and welcoming communion!

What I see behind all the rituals, though, is what I consider to be the sacred core of our faith.

Covenant. More than mere “rules,” our covenants are the bedrock of Unitarian Universalism. When a congregation joins the Unitarian Universalist Association, it enters a covenant with all other congregations. We covenant to ‘affirm and promote’ the principles stated in the UUA Bylaws. When an individual joins one of our congregations, they enter into a covenant (whether they know it or not). You see, usually there are rights and responsibilities of members stated in the local bylaws. By signing the membership book, the member is agreeing to affirm the local bylaws. And I believe members should take their rights and responsibilities seriously, covenantally staying in relationship with one another even in times of disagreement.

There are other covenants in Unitarian Universalism: the covenants between ministers and their congregations, the covenants ministers abide by to respect their colleagues’ relationships with congregations, and some congregations have special covenants around behavior or other issues. It is our covenants which define and shape our congregations, which hold us to accountability, which remind us of our highest aspirations in our lowest times. And, again – these covenants connect us to our history, and are made sacred by our actions.

I think it is right and good to remember that when one joins a Unitarian Universalist congregation, one is entering into a sacred covenant with the other members. It is also good to remember that our congregations are in covenant with each other, by virtue of being members of the same Association. The covenants that exist aren’t imposed from on high. They are created by human beings and entered into freely, for the benefit of mutual support. And that is a source of joy for me.

2 comments:

Julie-Ann said...

Ahh, dear friend. What is sacred? I think outside of the UUA. What is sacred to me? Family and friendships, home, values, traditions, pets, nature. The list goes on and on. I know it is not the direction you are going with this post, but you - once again - gave me a lot of "food for thought" for a while.

And - I consider our friendship sacred. I miss you! (but, not the snow).

Earthbound Spirit said...

JA - I totally agree, but this was a post in response to a 'UU Salon' question of the month (even if it's a couple months late). There's a common point, though - we choose what is sacred to us.

I miss you, too! I'll have to tell you about M*'s wild day on the job, yesterday!