Sunday, May 17, 2009

Commencing...


I am no longer a seminarian. As of yesterday, I am a "Master of Divinity." Of course, none of us really masters the divine - though I know and have known many who seem to express the divine quite well through their work, compassion, and love. I'm grateful for them...

Many good people helped me through the past four years, not the least of which my DH. He is a brick, a rock, a - whatever metaphor you choose to use to indicate something solid to rest upon. I am so very lucky he loves me.

I'm also grateful for my fellow students and the classmates who graduated with me. When one is in the theological minority it helps that everyone else is willing to listen to new ideas - and to challenge one to explain, dig deeper, expand, and develop those ideas into solid theology. One particular friend who began with me graduated last year. We still talk every couple weeks. He tells me what is happening in his pastorate, and I share what I can of my internship. We continue to be sounding boards for each other, and I'm more grateful than I can say for his friendship. Thank you to all my fellow "masters."

I've benefited from several wonderful professors, too. A couple knew more than the average bear about Unitarian Universalism, and for them I'm particularly grateful - even if one was particularly pushy about getting me to figure out where I stood within my own tradition. Everything I learned in the seminary from which I graduated will stand me in good stead as I go forth & try to do interfaith work. (In fact, it already has!)

I'm going to miss this place. I'm going to miss these people (already do). I will carry what I learned from these years and these relationships with me for the rest of my life.

And, life goes on. Another month and my internship will be done. A few more months and I have a Very Important Interview. What happens after that? I don't know. Life is uncertain - it is always uncertain. But for now, life is pretty darn good!

6 comments:

ms. kitty said...

I'm delighted for you, EBS. Now you get to go into search, I assume?

FranIAm said...

Brava! Congratulations! All good wishes to you!!!!

This is wonderful to read about, especially as I am only 3 classes into my Master of Arts in Theology!

Julie-Ann said...

YOU DID IT, DEAR FRIEND!!!

I am so proud of you! You will pass through the interview with flying colors!

Earthbound Spirit said...

Ms. Kitty - Thanks! Can't search tho, until after the Very Important Interview next fall...

Fran - You will A+ every class, I just know it! You're off to an awesome start already!

JA - The Academic part is a piece of cake. The rest of it... but I'm feeling more confident about it than I used to!

uumomma said...

Just checking in and read your fabulous news. Congratulations!

Sharon said...

Congratulations, dear sister!