Monday, March 30, 2009

God does what?



A blogging pal posted this, because these over-the-top fanatics protested in her community on the date shown. (You know, it hurts my heart to post the link here, this group's activities are so offensive to me.)

They protested outside my seminary, too. This seminary is liberal and Christian, (disclaimer - I am unabashedly liberal, but I don't call myself Christian) and teaches us to discern for ourselves rather than force-feeding ill-considered dogma. On its faculty are many well-respected scholars and writers among its faculty and staff, including the author of The Man Jesus Loved. The protest prompted a couple of folks I know to comment, "If Fred Phelps is picketing your seminary, the seminary must be doing something right." Perhaps they're right. I must say that the picketers brought out some creative expressions of support from the fraternity members next door that were greatly appreciated by many of my fellow seminarians...

What I still fail to understand is: how can such a profound disconnect occur? How can so many read the Christian scriptures and come to the sentiment expressed here in the graphic, and others come to the opposite - that god would "hate" a group of people, a nation, the world? Please don't point out the proclamations of the prophets to me - I've read them. The question remains, how can these people call themselves "Christian" and take the position that god hates anyone? "For god so loved the world..." Sound familiar? Jesus said that the two greatest commandments were to (1) love god and (2) love your neighbor. He didn't say "love your straight neighbor, and hate the gay ones."

The folks at my seminary get that human sexuality is important - and not anti-god... Check out the video here.



Sorry the blogging is infrequent right now. My cup is full to overflowing...

3 comments:

FranIAm said...

Hang in there with the overflowing... I know that well. Thanks for the linkage and for shining a good and loving light from this blog and from your life.

Loved that video from R&E newsweekly - wow. Worth the 7 minutes to watch without a doubt. I think I saw someone I know in it, just a quick shot in one of the scenes.

Peace to you!

Robin Edgar said...

Believe it or not I asked The Almighty God to blog about why He hates the Westboro Baptist Church on His Stuff God Hates blog and He did! Who says The Almighty God doesn't answer prayers?

Earthbound Spirit said...

Fran - Blog love right back atcha.