Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Random Thoughts & Reactions

Where I want to be (above)...
***
A good friend has posted recently about current favorite TV shows, and I have to confess that I am such a nerd that I haven't seen any of them. I haven't managed to see any series consistently since... well, I don't remember exactly. Maybe the first season of Survivor. Or the first season of American Idol. I did enjoy Will and Grace, but there really hasn't been much on that's captured my attention - or been worth wrestling the kids for control of the remote. Then there's this little venture called going to seminary... Anyway, about a year ago my dh had the brilliant idea of giving me the first season of Quantum Leap on DVD. I highly recommend this series - it's got great philosophy content (mind/body issues abound), interesting theological issues to explore (why does Sam leap into these particular people?), one of the dh's favorite science fiction concepts (time travel and/or alternate history) and, of course, Scott Bakula in his prime (forget that Star Trek prequel).

This was followed by the second season as a gift this past Christmas, while I gave him the first season of an even older show (which may have inspired QL) - Time Tunnel. We've been alternating watching episodes from each show, about one or two a week, since the holidays. The big advantage here is that we choose our time (I know - with Tivo we could choose our time for current shows), but we're also reliving some significant times in our lives. Time Tunnel is from the dh's childhood, when he and his brother would raptly watch each week's episode and try to figure out how Doug and Tony would get out of whatever new situation they were catapulted into. Quantum Leap is from the time in our lives when our children were babies. Most importantly though, we've gained back some quality time with each other. Between his 40-60 hour/week job, our shared parenting responsibilities, and my seminary class schedule, couple time was getting lost. I look forward now to the time we spend together, groaning over Tony's naive insistence "you've gotta believe me, I'm from the future," in TT, and laughing at Al's serial monogamy and Sam's earnest do-gooding in QL. Hard to imagine this kind of togetherness with Desperate Housewives. Maybe we're doing a little time-traveling of our own...
***
Joel, over at CUUMBAYA challenged UU bloggers to 'fess up to our guilty web pleasures - the sites we look at regularly, but don't want to admit. Well, I share Joel's fascination with one very cute website. You'll just have to click on the link to see. But, I also like this one, especially if the first fails to provide a sufficient fix for the day - M* sent me there first, lover of cuteness that she is. The one I feel really guilty about though is this one. I'm not that shallow, really. No, really!
***
I'm still mulling over what physicist Brian Greene once said was the most compelling, unanswerable question of our time: Why do we care about Paris Hilton and her life?
***
Glad I got all that off my chest. Now, I'd better stop procrastinating - final paper is due tomorrow night and I need to start writing.

No comments: